This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy
My go to, never fails Focaccia Bread Recipe. A winter warmer that never disappoints! This Caramelised onion Focaccia Bread has home grown Red onion, Rosemary and Garlic…doesn’t get much fresher than that! My two passions, baking and growing food, showcased beautifully in this rustic Focaccia .
See my post on how to Grow your own onions
Give it a try and let me know how you get on in the comments or tag me on Instagram I would love to see your creations!
Caramelised Onion Focaccia Bread
- 120 ml Olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 230 ml Warm water
- 1 x 7g sachet of quick action yeast
- 1/4 tsp Honey
- 320 g Plain flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- For the Caramelised onion
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
To make Dough
- Combine olive oil, crushed garlic, rosemary, and black pepper. Place the pan over a low heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until aromatic, don't let the garlic brown. Pour through a sieve, separating the ingredients from the oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and honey. Stir, then allow to rest for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes add 120g of flour and half of the newly made garlic infused olive oil to the bowl. Stir in until the flour has combined with the water, yeast and honey. Let it rest for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining flour and salt. stir to form a dough, then transfer to a floured surface. Knead 10-15 times until the dough is smooth and stretchy
- Transfer the dough to a large oiled or lined bowl, cover the top with cling film or a tea towel, leave to rise for 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 220°c
- Slice a red onion, add to a pan with 1 Tbsp of sugar & 1/2 tbsp of olive oil Heat on low for 5 minutes until softened, set aside.
- Turn out the risen dough onto a lined baking tray. Using a rolling pin & your hands, spread out the dough to make a large rectangle. Then dimple the dough by prodding with your fingers. Set aside for 10 minutes to puff up a little.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of garlic infused oil. Sprinkle some dried rosemary, scatter the Caramelised onion on top
- Pop in the oven for 12- 15 minutes until browned.