This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy
Boule is simply from the French meaning of ‘Ball’. A delicious, crusty, artisan style bread, easy to make and so lovely to look at. Follow my 7 step recipe to create your own and watch the short video for a quick run through.
Give it a try and let me know how you got on in the comments, or tag me on Instagram, I would love to see your creations.
600g of strong white bread flour
1 tsp sugar
1 7g sachet of fast acting yeast
460ml of warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tsp salt
1. In a mixing bowl mix 240g of flour with the sugar and yeast. Beat mixture until smooth. Cover bowl with a dish cloth for 1 hour until bubbly.
2. After 1 hour add the oil and salt. Mix in enough remaining flour a little at a time until a smooth dough forms. You want it to be smooth and springy.
3. Place dough into a large bowl. Cover with a dish cloth and allow to rise 1 hour.
4. Once risen place the dough on a floured surface. Shape into a ball by stretching the sides of the dough downward under the loaf to create a round, smooth ball. Place on the lined, baking tray or pan you intend to bake the bread on. Allow to rise for a further 30 minutes.
5. Heat oven to 220°c . Lightly mist the loaf with water and sprinkle with flour. Use a bread lame to score the dough.
6. Place a metal pan( I use a cake tin) 1/3 full of water on the bottom rack of your oven. This will add steam to the oven which creates a lovely crispy crust.
7. Pop in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown and rings hollow when the base is tapped