Egg in a basket in 7 minutes! With My Trusty Ninja! This super simple recipe is a favourite in my house. A quick and Healthy breakfast for when you’re strapped for time, made with cupboard staples, its budget friendly too!
What is Egg In A Basket?
Sometimes called egg in a hole, Egg in a frame or egg with a hat! Egg in a Basket is basically a fancy egg on toast! The bread is buttered, topped with an egg and traditionally fried or grilled in one go! My recipe is a healthier version, by using an Air fryer, no oil, wholemeal bread instead of white bread and switching butter for a low fat spread, it is a lower calorie, more heart healthy dish.
Egg In A Basket History
It is believed that Egg In A basket originated in Europe and was introduced to the wider world when immigrants brought the idea to America. The first documented mention of the recipe can be found in the 1890’s Cookbook the Boston Cooking School Cookbook by Fannie Farmer . It soon became a common breakfast dish amongst the masses thanks to its simple ingredients and affordability.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Wholemeal Bread Instead of White: Switch white bread for a healthy wholemeal bread, for an increased fibre boost!
- High in Protein: Eggs are a wonderful source of protein!
- Runny or Hard?: Cook to your Taste! If like me, you like a solid egg yolk, cook for 7 minutes. For runny 6-6 1/2 minutes
- Kids Love It!: An impressive looking Breakfast for kids who love egg on toast!
- Super Quick: Air fryer to plate in 7 Minutes or less (depending on how you like your eggs)
- Good Whole Food Ingredients: No processed ingredients, only whole nutrient rich foods
- Pan fried vs Air Fry: A healthier alternative to the traditional frying method
how to make Air Fryer Eggs in a basket
What You’ll need
An Air Fryer- I used the Ninja Foodi Max Dual Zone
(**As always the full detailed recipe can be found on the recipe card at the end of the post)
- Wholemeal Bread
- Low fat Spread
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Chilli Flakes
1. Using Low fat spread cover both sides of 2 slices of wholemeal bread
2. Place the slices of bread in the Air fryer
3. Using The Back of a spoon, make an indent (shallow well) in the centre of each slice of bread
4. Crack an egg into the centre of each piece of bread, filling the well, so it puddles on top
5. Season With Salt and pepper and sprinkle with Chilli Flakes
6. Set The Air Fryer to 190 C on Air Fry Mode For 7 Minutes for a hard yolk, or 6-6 1/2 minutes for a soft yolk
7. Serve while hot
What Should I Serve with Eggs in a Basket?
I like to keep it simple and add a few tbsp’s of Baked beans to the plate! Or, you could go all out! Serve alongside bacon, Sausages, Mushrooms and Grilled Tomatoes. Or just serve as is with a glass of Orange Juice, a Coffee Smoothie or a Dalgona Coffee!
How Healthy IS EGGS IN A BASKET ?
My version? Very Healthy ! Here are 3 benefits of this simple dish…
1. High in Protein: Eggs are a wonderful source of protein. One egg has about 6 grams of protein, and one slice has about 5 grams of protein. In total this recipe serves up a whopping 22 grams of protein!
Why Is Protein Important?– Protein can promote muscle growth and fat loss, through your blood, it also transports oxygen throughout your body. It can also build and repair tissue! It gives you an energy boost, contributing to your overall health and wellness.
2. High in Fibre: Using wholemeal bread increases the fiber content of this recipe.
Why Is Fibre Important? Fibre is an essential component for healthy digestion. High fiber foods can also help eliminate toxins from your GI tract, lower cholesterol and control blood sugar levels. A Fibre rich diet can also lower the risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and bowel cancer.
3. Nutrient Rich: Eggs are naturally rich in vitamin B2, vitamin B12, vitamin D, selenium and iodine. They also contain vitamin A and B vitamins including folate, biotin, choline and pantothenic acid. All of which Contribute to a happy and healthy body, allowing you to maintain a healthy immune system.
Looking For Other Breakfast Recipes?
- French Toast Jam Sandwich
- Banana and Cranberry Muffins
- Overnight Chocolate Oats
- Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding
- Poached Pears
- Rhubarb and Banana Muffins
Looking For more ‘Homely’ Inspo ?
Did You Make This Recipe ?
If so, Please leave a rating and comment below, I would love to know what you thought. Did you take a picture? Great! tag me on Instagram, I love to share your creations on my stories
*Any specific health claim or nutritional claims or information provided on the Website are for informational purposes only. Nothing on the Website is offered or intended to be a substitute for professional medical, health, or nutritional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This Website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. You assume full responsibility for consulting a qualified health professional regarding health conditions or concerns.
Air Fryer Egg In A Basket
- 2 Slices Wholemeal Bread
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsps Low fat Spread
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Chilli Flakes
- Using Low fat spread cover both sides of 2 slices of wholemeal bread
- Using The Back of a spoon, make an indent (shallow well) in the centre of each slice of bread
- Place the slices of bread in the Air fryer
- Crack an egg in the centre of each piece of bread, so it puddles on top
- Season With Salt and pepper and sprinkle with Chilli Flakes
- Set The Air Fryer to 190 C on Air Fry Mode For 7 Minutes for a hard yolk, or 6-6 1/2 minutes for a soft yolk
- Serve while still hot