Here is my fool proof guide to making the most delicious Homemade Chocolate and Orange Biscotti. A perfectly crunchy, flavoursome Italian classic you’ll want to make time and time again.
This post may contain Affiliate Links please see my Disclosure Policy
This easy to follow recipe combines just the right amount of Orange and Chocolate, perfect with a cup of tea, mulled wine or with my favourite Dalgona Whipped Coffee
What is Biscotti?
Before we dive head first into the making of Biscotti, here’s a few delightful facts about the much loved Biscotti Biscuit…
Believe it or not, Biscotti was actually first created many Centuries ago in ancient Rome, unfortunately , when Rome fell- so did the ‘Biscotto’ as it was then called. Its re-emergence as ‘Biscotti’ in the mid 1800’s was thanks to an Italian Baker named Antonio Mattei.
Antonio’s original Almond Biscotti Recipe won exhibitions in Paris, Florence and London, becoming the Show Standard for all Biscotti’s that followed. Thanks to Antonio, Biscotti became the toast of Tuscany, often served with the Tuscan produced ‘Vin Santo’, a sweet dessert wine with intense hazelnut, caramel and Apricot flavours.
‘Biscotto’ or ‘Biscotti’ translated into English means ‘twice baked’ which is exactly what happens through the process of making the Biscotti biscuit. Its really not as complicated as it sounds. Simplified – the first bake, cooks it though, the second bake, makes it crunchy. The Second bake also serves to preserve the Biscotti (Biscotti have a long shelf life)
Why you’ll love this Recipe
- No fancy ingredients – you likely already have them in the Cupboard
- Adaptable – Add nuts, dried fruits, more chocolate!, less chocolate?
- Shelf life – Kept in an airtight container at room temperature, Biscotti will stay good for up to 3 wks
- One Bowl bake – An easy, very untechnical one bowl mix.
How to make Chocolate & Orange Biscotti
- Flour – Use Plain Flour
- Granulated sugar – Granulated or Caster Sugar can be used
- Eggs -Preferably large
- Chocolate – Chocolate chips or chunks of chocolate (I placed a Milk Chocolate bar in a bag, bashed it with a rolling pin and tossed the broken pieces in the batter)
- Orange – Zest is best
- Honey – I used Honey but you could substitute for Maple syrup or Golden syrup
- Baking Powder- Helps give the Biscotti a little rise.
- Crack 4 eggs and Sugar into a mixing bowl, whisk with an electric mixer.
- Add the Orange, Honey and Baking Powder, whisk again.
- Add the flour and mix
- Stir in the Chocolate chunks
- Turn out onto a lined baking tray
- Bake for 20 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean
- Slice into 20 pieces
- Turn on their sides, bake again for several minutes until crisped.
Give it a try and let me know how you got on in the comments, or tag me on Instagram, I would love to see your creations.
Chocolate and Orange Biscotti
- 420 g Plain flour
- 350 g Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 110 g Chocolate
- Zest of 2 Oranges
- 2 1/2 tbsp Honey
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°c
- Place the 4 eggs and Sugar in a bowl, whisk together
- Add in the Orange Zest, Honey & Baking powder, mix together
- Add flour and mix until combined
- Add the Chocolate Chunks or chips and stir in
- Spread out on to a lined baking tray (see video)
- Bake for 20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then cut into 20 pieces (see video)
- Place each piece, cut side up on a lined baking tray, put back in the oven to crisp up for 4-5 minutes on each side.