This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy
I cannot tell you just how delicious this Tear and share Onion Heart cheesy garlic bread is! I came up with this after my husband said ‘surprise me’… so I did, he loved it! It has all those naughty elements that are completely sinful ;o) but oh so necessary! ‘Tear and share’ is a poor misrepresentation, believe me, you absolutely will NOT want to share it. Which is why this recipe, is enough for 2 loaves…your welcome!
The heart of the loaf
Peel and half one large red onion.
Push firmly into the centre of the dough.
Brush the Onion and dough with the buttery, honey glaze. Season with Sea Salt, Cracked pepper & Sesame seeds. Allow to puff up for 30 minutes, then bake!
Look at that beautiful crust and honeyed heart. Its all in the glaze! Not only does it help to brown the crust, but the subtle sweetness it brings to the bread is divine! Top tip* Pop a metal baking tin 1/3 full with water in the bottom of the oven (the steam it creates, makes for a crispier crust)
Allow to cool. Then slice deep cuts all the way around the loaf(see video )
Stuff each section with garlic butter (see below for recipe)
Then stuff with grated Mozzarella
Cover with foil & Pop in the Oven for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Onion heart Cheesy Garlic bread
1 x 7g sachet of Quick action yeast
2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
440ml of warm water
1 Red onion
2 Tbsp of butter
1 tsp of honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame seeds
3 Tbsp softened butter
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp Parsley
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and yeast. Stir in the olive oil and warm water. Form a Dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 mins until smooth and stretchy. Split the dough in 2.
2. Place each in a separate oiled or lined bowl, cover with cling film, set aside to rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
3. After 1 hour, turn out each dough on to a lined floured baking sheet. Pat down with flour. Push half an onion into the centre of each one ( see video)
4. Melt the 2 tbsp of butter, stir in the honey and 1/2 tsp of salt. Brush some of the mixture over each loaf, including the onion.
4 . Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper & sesame seeds. Set aside to rise for a further 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 170°c
6. Brush once more with the butter honey mix and Pop in the bottom of the oven for 30 minutes.
*For a crispier crust, place a metal tray a third full with water at the bottom of the oven.
7. Allow to cool.
8. Make a garlic butter- Mix softened butter, a crushed garlic clove & 1 tbsp of chopped parsley together
9. Slice the bread around the onion ( see video), stuff each gap with garlic butter and grated mozzarella cheese (see video)
10. Cover with tinfoil, bake at 170°c for 15 – 20 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
11. Serve while still warm